A penthouse is a large and well-appointed apartment that is usually found on the top floor of a building, condominium, or hotel. Today, realtors use the term to describe any unit with a significantly larger and more luxurious floor plan than the other units and qualities that make them the most expensive.
Where Did the Penthouse Come From?
These luxurious living spaces became popular in Manhattan during the 1920s when the booming economy fueled a skyscraper construction boom. In 1925, New York City legalized these exclusive top-floor units, and businessman Condé Montrose Nast and heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post were among the first owners. Before being rebranded as luxury residences, a penthouse referred to smaller servants’ quarters that could be hidden from view on a building’s roof.
What are the Penthouse Features?
The most distinguishing feature of Penthouse apartments is their luxurious nature. Penthouse apartments are also notable for their high ceiling structures, fingerprint or card entry systems, special elevators from the parking lot to the floor where the apartment is located, panoramic views, and large terraces.
The Penthouse features are listed below:
1. High ceilings
The high ceilings, combined with floor-to-ceiling windows, are a distinguishing feature of many penthouses making your space feel more open and inviting.
There are numerous advantages to having high ceilings in your living space. This not only makes your home feel more spacious, but it is also a luxurious feature that instantly elevates the appearance of your home.
Many penthouses have open floor plans, which make them feel much larger. This makes entertaining easier, improves the flow of your décor, and allows natural light from your large windows to travel further throughout your home.
2. Outdoor access
Many penthouses are also accompanied by lavish outdoor areas. Extensive balconies, verandas, private swimming pools, and even a private garden are available. These luxuries are not available if you live in a traditional apartment.
These outdoor spaces are a premium luxury in urban areas, making them much more valuable. If you have access to an exclusive terrace, you simply cannot put a price tag on it.
It enables you to escape to a private outdoor area without leaving the city.
Furthermore, many people who live in a big city find that apartments can become claustrophobic due to the number of people and the difficulty in finding private outdoor space. Spending time outside is beneficial to your health, so having your private outdoor area will put you at ease.
3. Premium finishes
You’ll have upscale luxuries in your house if you live in a penthouse. When it comes to luxurious finishes, personalization, and other features, luxury penthouses offer the best of the best.
As luxury apartments, these penthouses typically have the best selection of hardware, appliances, and other features.
Many of these penthouses will have roomy, open living areas, gourmet kitchens, and even ensuite bathrooms that are more similar to spas than bathrooms. These personalized finishes will have a significant impact on your overall space if you want the most opulent living environment possible.
4. Premium views
The fact that penthouses have more and larger windows throughout the entire area is one of their biggest advantages. You will have the best views in your entire building as well as excellent natural light and ventilation from this.
These expansive views are difficult to find in a large city. This will enhance the aesthetics of your living space and give you a stronger sense of connection to your city.
Additionally, because most penthouses have floor-to-ceiling windows that provide an unhindered view of your surroundings, you will be able to take in these views more fully. Living on the top floor will prevent nearby buildings from blocking your view.
If you reside on the top floor, you might even be able to view your city from a bird’s eye perspective.
Living in a luxurious penthouse apartment will give you a lot more space than a typical apartment, which is one of the main advantages. This is because penthouses are typically found on the top floor of an apartment building, where there are typically few if any, other units on the same floor.
If you ever decide to sell, the value of your home will increase significantly due to the additional square footage.
Additionally, it gives you more room to work with. The additional space of a penthouse will enable you to spread out more comfortably, whether you want to use it to host guests or even expand your family.
What are the Penthouse Advantages?
Living in a top-floor penthouse has many perks, including:
- Memorable views: Real estate agents frequently emphasize that penthouse residences have some of the best views in the city, which residents can enjoy from the comfort of their living space thanks to floor-to-ceiling windows.
- Outdoor space: In densely populated cities where outdoor space is limited, having access to an exclusive terrace can be invaluable.
- Privacy: Because of their large size, penthouses provide their residents with more privacy because there are fewer units on the floor and usually no one living above them. These high-end residences are frequently directly accessible via a private entrance.
What Are the Penthouse Disadvantages?
However, there are a few drawbacks to these luxury living spaces, including:
- Higher cost: While living on the top floor has many advantages, these high-end features come at a high cost.
- Long elevator rides: Beautiful views come at the expense of longer-than-usual elevator rides or countless flights of stairs to climb, which can be inconvenient if you’re in a hurry or need to return to your car multiple times.
- Outdoor space: While a terrace provides residents with a place to relax or entertain, it also means that residents must pay extra for landscaping maintenance.
Is the Penthouse Common Space?
One of the issues that the owners debate is who owns the right to use the penthouse, which is the top floor of the apartment and site blocks, and who should pay for the penthouse expenses.
According to the law, the penthouse is shared by all floor owners in the apartment. The upper floor residents must obtain the consent of the other floor owners to grant them exclusive use of the attic.
This, however, is only a temporary solution. Even though the penthouse is only available to the one-floor owner, problems may arise despite the consent letter. The following are the rights to use the attic floor:
Common places: Article 4 – The subject of the common places can be specified in the contract. The places and things written below are in any case considered common places by this Law.
- Foundations and main walls, beams, columns, and curtain walls forming the carrier system and other elements that are part of the carrier system, common walls separating the independent sections, ceilings and floors, courtyards, general entrance doors, vestibules, stairs, elevators, landings, corridors and It is for the protection of public toilets and sinks, concierge apartments or rooms, general laundry and laundry drying places, general coal storage, and common garages, electricity, water, and gas hours.
- Sewerage facilities and garbage ducts, heating, water, gas, and electricity facilities, common networks and antennas for telephone, radio, and television, hot and cold air facilities outside of each floor owner’s section,
- Roofs, chimneys, general roof terraces, gutters, and fire safety ladders.
Other places and things other than those listed above, which are essential for joint use, protection, or benefit, are also included in the subject of (Commonplace).
Modifications or savings related to the roof can only be made with the unanimous decision of the flat owners. The issue related to the subject is listed in Article 45 as follows:
Article 45 – Significant management works such as the registration of the main real estate with a right or the division of the land and the transfer of the ownership of the divided part to another person, or the renting of the outer walls, roof, or roof of the main building for advertising purposes can only be carried out upon the unanimous decision of all floor owners.
Are There Penthouses In Turkey?
A penthouse is a type of custom-designed real estate, often located on the top floor of a high-rise building, rather than an apartment. There are many penthouse options in multi-story buildings located in locations such as Sisli, Mecidiyekoy, and Sariyer, which have a view of the Bosphorus and the city of Istanbul. In addition, this type of house can be found in all developed cities.
Are Luxury Penthouses For Sale In Istanbul?
Istanbul, as a metropolitan city, offers different types of flats and real estate to everyone who wants to live a luxurious life. Penthouses are among these real estate types. If you wish, you can visit the penthouses in various districts and choose the building that is suitable for you.